Managing a Comping Shopping list and other tips
Store and product competitions can be the luckiest competitions you can enter. As the level of effort required is high (buying the product, keeping the receipt and barcode, entering online and so on) the number of entries are lower than a really simple competition to enter when all you have to do is submit your name and email.
The higher the barrier to enter, the less competition there is.
Supermarket and store competitions can also be really fun. Who doesn’t like to put an entry in a barrel at a shop or try a new product.
Once committed to entering these competitions often comes the next conundrum. How do you manage your shopping list? How much should you buy and what about your budget? Here are few helpful tips to help you manage your weekly shop and hobby:
- Only buy what you need. Wasting food and buying useless products is bad comping karma. If you do buy something you normally wouldn’t need, take the barcode and/or label off and give it way.
- Stick to your budget. Don’t go overboard. Nobody wants to eat canned tuna for lunch for the next two years because you thought buying 50 cans would give you a good chance to win a holiday to Italy. Work out what you can afford in addition to your normal weekly shop and stick to it.
- Keep track with a list. Keep closing dates in a spreadsheet or create a system so you stick to the terms and conditions. Don’t disqualify yourself and be wasteful. Be mindful of what you need to buy, when and how many.
- Get organized. Keep your receipts, barcodes and labels in folder or draw and make sure to write the draw date on them so you can do spring clean every couple of months and receipts wont build up.
- Sharing is caring. If you have any tips or see a new store competition coming soon, make sure to share them with your fellow compers. Don’t hide entry forms at the supermarket and if something is not working right contact the promoter.
Lastly, the most important thing is to have fun! Its always nice when you buy something you need and you get the added bonus of going into a draw for a prize. Happing shopping compers!